Lawn Furniture Staining or Painting Tips from HomeRightPublished by HomeRight on Tuesday, July 24, 2012
Exterior House Elements: Lawn Furniture Staining Tips
Wood lawn furniture or wicker furniture needs to be properly maintained and sealed in order to last for years to come. Using a HomeRight CommandMax HVLP Sprayer can give new life to old furniture or maintain furniture to last a long time.
Here is a Materials List of what you will need to complete a project similar to this:
- Drop Cloth
- CommandMax HVLP Sprayer
- Safety Glasses
- Stain /Sealer/Paint of your choice
- Touch-up Brush
- Extension Cord
- Select your color of stain/sealer/paint before beginning.
- Remove all the hardware from the furniture to assure that stain/paint will not get on hardware.
- Check for any imperfections fill dents with wood putty or filler.
- Sand down the wood once the wood putty has dried.
- Wipe down the furniture to remove dust.
- If there is ground in dirt, use a more aggressive cleaner to remove.
- Allow surface to dry for 24-48 hours prior to applying paint or stain.
Project Spraying with the HomeRight CommandMax HVLP Paint or Stain Sprayer
Apply stain/sealer/paint in a well-ventilated area. Use a mask, gloves and safety glasses when working with a HomeRight CommandMax HVLP paint or stain sprayer when applying the stain evenly. If spraying wood, always go with the grain of the wood. Have a cloth ready to wip up any possible drips.
Step 1: Read CommandMax owner’s manual before beginning spraying.
Step 2: Use the enclosed Viscosity Cup to check if your material needs to be thinned. If so, thin material as necessary. Remove and fill CommandMax container with material.
Step 3: Insert the pick-up tube in the cylinder housing. Pick-up tube should orientate to the position of spraying.
Step 4: Attach container to sprayer and plug in sprayer to outlet.
Step 5: Adjust spray pattern to horizontal, vertical or cone.
Step 6: Set the flow to maximum by turning the volume control knob fully clockwise.
Step 7: Spray surface, keeping sprayer level. Use a sweeping and overlapping motion.
- Unplug the sprayer, remove container and empty contents. Rise out container with water.
- Fill sprayer with cleaning solution and operate trigger until solution comes through nozzle.
- Remove parts. Clean and dry thoroughly.
- Once finish is dry, clean up tape and drop cloths.